At the December 17 Genoa Kingston Board of Education meeting, the board approved the 2020-2021 school year calendar.
Some items of interest:
- Students First Day will be Monday, August 17th, 2020
- Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences will be conducted on November 4th and 5th, 2020
- Last day before the Holiday Break is Friday, December 18th, 2020
- First day back after the Holiday Break is Monday, January 4th, 2021
- Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences will be conducted on February 10th and 11th, 2021
- Spring Break is March 22-26, 2021
- Students last day if NO emergency days are utilized will be May 26, 2021.
- Student last day if ALL emergency days are utilized will be June 1, 2021.
IMPORTANT: Monday, February 15th, 2021 is President's Day, and Monday, April 5th 2021 is the day after Easter, and we are NOT scheduled to be in session either of these days. HOWEVER: If the district is required to utilize an emergency day PRIOR to either of these days, the district COULD be in session.
EXPLANATION: Traditionally, the district has added five emergency days to the end of the calendar, that extended the school year when emergency days were used for weather. In an effort to maximize education and not extend the school year any longer than necessary, the district is utilizing some new tools. The board has approved both Alternative Learning Days as an option, as well as a two-hour late start option. This calendar includes a third option as well, and that is using Monday, February 15th and/or April 5th, 2021 as potential emergency days. The only way either of these two days would be utilized is if the district is forced to call off school for a day or more prior to either of these days. If that does not occur, then these days will be observed as holidays with no student attendance as in the past. The superintendent's office will be working hard to communicate these changes to the parents and community members in advance of the potential need to implement any of these options.