Week of August 31, 2020
- The first day of Kindergarten is Wednesday, September 2, 2020.
- There will be no school on Monday, September 7, 2020 for Labor Day.
We will learn to identify two-dimensional (flat) and three-dimensional (solid) shapes. The two-dimensional shapes are circle, square, triangle, rectangle and hexagon.
The three-dimensional shapes are cone, cube, sphere, and cylinder.
In kindergarten, we will learn 26 letters of the alphabet and 42 letter sounds of the English language. Our phonics program is Jolly Phonics and each letter sound has a story, song and action.
Tricky Word of the Week: the
Definition: Tricky (sight) words are words that are immediately recognizable.
- Tricky words are the most frequently used words in the English language.
- Tricky words make up about 50% of any written text.
- Students will be able to read more fluently if they have learned to recognize tricky words instantly and automatically.
- Some tricky words cannot be decoded or “sounded out.” This year we will focus mainly on tricky words that cannot be sounded out and must be memorized.
Please put your child’s colored tag for transportation/departure on each day. The tag helps ensure that your child gets to the correct destination at the end of their day.