In compliance with state law (105 ILCS 140/1), each Illinois school district is required to post specific information regarding the district as part of the Freedom of information Act (FOIA) requirements. This information is contained on the district website.
District 424’s procedures for handling FOIA requests are found under School Board Policies, Section 2:2.50, School Board – Access to District Public Records.
List of Types of Public Records Maintained by School District 424
The types of public records maintained by District 424 that are available for inspection include the following:
- Board meeting schedules
- Board minutes and resolutions
- Board policies and administrative procedures
- Legal notices
- Employees’ names, titles, and dates of employment
- Official bonds
- Records of the district’s ownership of real or personal property
- School report cards
- Annual budgets
- Tax levies
- Audit reports
- Bills or invoices issued and received by the district
- Receipts for revenue
Note: Exemptions under the Illinois freedom of Information Act may allow non-disclosure of some parts of public records maintained by the district.
List of Types of Records Exempt from Disclosure
- Evaluations of all public employees
- Student records, parent/teacher communication containing personal information
- Individually identifiable information about a student
- Information which is communicated by a student or parent in confidence to school personnel
- Arrest and investigation reports of a minor
- Video images of students
Procedure For Requesting Records
If you are unable to find the specific information for which you are searching, you may request copies of existing documents via email or US mail.
Requests for records should be directed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
c/o Genoa-Kingston CUSD #424
980 Park Avenue
Genoa, IL 60135
The FOIA Officer will:
- Note and date the time the request is received
- Calculate the five day response deadline and note it in writing on the request (except for commercial requests)
- Keep all documents related to a request until it is complied with or denied
- Keep files maintaining all FOIA requests
Please be specific in your request regarding the information you desire. Note on the request if the information is for commercial purposes. Commercial purpose means the use of any part of a public record or records, or the information derived from public records, in any form for sale, resale, or solicitation or advertisement for sales or services.
Information will be sent out electronically whenever possible unless a specific request is made for paper copies to be picked up at the district office.
No fees shall be charged for the first 50 pages of black and white, letter or legal sized copies requested by a requestor. The fee for black and white, letter or legal sized copies shall not exceed 15 cents per page. If a public body provides copies in a color or in a size other than letter or legal, the public body may not charge more than its actual cost for reproducing the records. If the requestor requires the response to be mailed, the first 50 pages will be mailed at no charge. Beyond the 50 pages, the requestor will be responsible for the postage cost.