- Car and Driver
- Sports Illustrated
- In Style
- Please do not eat or drink by the computers.
- Follow all the rules in the student handbook.
- Take care of our books, computers, and learning space.
- Travel to and from the learning center with a pass.
- Treat others with respect and work with dignity and diligence.
- You may check out books for up to one month. You may renew, but please bring in the book to do so.
- When checking out, include your first and last name on the card. The person checking out will write in the due date for you.
- Your report card will be held and your grades blocked if you have an overdue book at the end of the quarter.
- You will be charged a fine to cover the cost of a book if you lose one.
- Students may check out books during AE. Please get a pass from your AE teacher. The library is closed on during AE on Monday and Thursday.
- Students are not allowed to check out books during Cogs Connection.
- Charge your Chromebooks every night and bring them to school every day.
- Follow the policies and procedures in the GKHS Chromebook handbook.
- Loaners can be checked out from the LC for one day.
- Report Chromebook problems in the LC. You can rent a long-term loaner while your Chromebook is being repaired.
- See Ms. Wilkins for password changes.
MEET THE LIBRARIAN
(815) 784-5111, EXT. 1740
Join the library Google Classroom for information about the GKHS library and young adult media! Code: 4zsqk3y
LEARNING CENTER NEWS & INFORMATION
Visit Donor's Choose to check out the latest library grant to help GKHS library get new fiction and nonfiction books.
*March is Women's History Month, National Nutrition Month
*GKHS Spring Break March 22nd-March 26th Woo hoo!
*April is School Library Month, Mathematics Awareness Month, National Poetry Month
*April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day
*April 8, 2021 is Holocaust Day of Remembrance
*April 13th SAT Juniors
*April 22nd is Earth Day
*May is Mental Health Awareness Month, Jewish Heritage Month, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, National Pet Month
*May 9th is Mother's Day
*May 19th is Last Day for Seniors
*May 31st is Memorial Day
June is LGBT Pride Month, National Safety Month
June 7th is Students' Last Day
June 19th is Juneteenth National Freedom Day
June 21st is the first day of summer. Happy Summer!
DIGITAL RESOURCES - EBOOKS AND RESEARCH TOOLS
Click here for library distance learning resources/support
ProQuest/ELibrary - User Name: 75-90795REMOTE, Password: Bigchalk
-Please join the GKHS Library Google Classroom to gain access to stay current on what's happening in the library and to gain access to research help and tools and information about young adult authors and books! The code is: 4zsqk3y
Genoa-Kingston High School is a member of the Reaching Across Illinois Library System or RAILS. RAILS staff members manage PrairieCat, a multi-type automation consortium of 90 online and 111 union listing libraries. Through this inter-library loan system, our library is able to borrow resources from libraries across Illinois. Materials that are available for borrowing are magazines, individual book titles, or collections of books. Keep in mind that when borrowing a book from another library, the wait time is anywhere from two days to two weeks. Please see Ms. Wilkins to request books.
To search for books in other libraries click here https://www.prairiecat.info/
*If you have a public library card, you will be able to place holds on books by logging in with your library card number. If you don't have a library card, build your book cart and then see/email Ms. Wilkins to request books. Once your books arrive at the public library, I will pick them up and then notify you through email. *Book holds may take longer to arrive because of Covid-19.
PUBLICATIONS AND BOOKS
GK Library Catalog Information
Search the GK library catalog here by following the directions below. If you are a remote GKHS student and are interested in placing a hold on a book, email Ms. Wilkins at email@example.com to arrange a pick up.
1. Click on "Limit by"
2. Click on "Resource Type" and find "Location" in the drop down menu.
3. Click on "Enter a Value"
4. Choose "GKHS Fiction" or "GKHS Nonfiction" from the drop down menu to search books from the GKHS library
5. Click "Search"
6. Once you've found what you're looking for, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to place a hold on an item. Once your request is ready, I will email you and then you can pick up your materials from the high school's main office if you are a remote student. If you are an in-person student, just simply visit the library! Happy searching!
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
CHECK OUT PROCEDURE
AE AND COGS CONNECTION
The learning center has 18 computers, which you are free to use for purposes related to school assignments. Failure to comply with this police on a consistent basis could result in loss of computer privileges. Please take care of our computers.
The library is a green zone for cell phones except for the following times: AE, Cogs Connection, Instructional times when teachers come in.
Remember to use a variety of sources when completing your assignments. Use good judgment when choosing Internet websites to use in research. Don't assume that just because something is online, that it's a credible source. Take the time to read through and make sure the site you are using is valuable and accurate. The following links will help you determine credible sources.
READY REFERENCE QUICK LINKS
Login: 75-90795REMOTE, Password: Bigchalk